Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I feel my powers growing.

It's weird how things sometimes fall into my lap the way I wish them to.

One of my main interests at the moment is to become a motor sports photographer.
While riding through Mullholland on the famous turn at "The Snake" I saw a photographer that normally isn't there. I stopped by to talk with him for a while and he just so happened to be an established motor sports photographer testing out some new techniques.

This could not have been coincidence.

I used this moment to seek his advice and pick at his brain a bit while I could. I told him about how I wanted to start photography school. The answer I expected was something along the lines of "Oh, cool."

Instead his immediate response was, "Why?"

He happened to also be an instructor, and basically told me that photography school for a digital photographer of today is a waste of time because everything I need to know is already laying around on the internet. I guess I wanted to do it more to have a physical confirmation of my accomplishment at the end of it, and because my parents would feel better about me being in school instead of doing nothing.

This was really what I needed to hear.

Sure enough I've been scouring the internet for knowledge and techniques. The internet really makes so many things so easy these days. I've always been somewhat afraid of Photoshop. Maybe more intimidated than afraid. That was one thing I really wanted to take a class for because I felt better about someone relaying the information to me and making sure I'm doing it right. Something in me finally just said, "Fuck it" and I just went for it. My usual method of learning is to just jump right in; I don't know why I've been so reluctant to do so with this.
Long story short, I feel my powers growing.



There's something really awesome about just finding a beautiful spot all by yourself and just taking it all in. It's not something I'm used to doing, but maybe someday soon it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment